[DB-SIG] Insert Problem solved, one question please reply

Khawaja Shahzad Sadiq shahzad at iastate.edu
Wed Oct 20 15:28:24 CEST 2004

Hi ,
                       I configured out the problem with sql insert
with mxODBC.
I use this statement.
areaI = "INSERT INTO rss_feed_items
(item_title,item_author,item_permalink,item_description) VALUES
(?,?,?,?)"
   c2 = db.cursor()
   c2.execute(areaI, (feed_item_title , item_author, feed_item_link,
feed_item_feeddescription_utf8))
   db.commit()

The problem was date and time variable for which i used ? SQL  gave error of:
item_dmodified
if use it in above query. I get this error:

DataError: ('22005', 0, '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid
character value for cast specification', 4579)

Since i am getting the date and time in raw format from rss file and
converting it into string like this:

s=item_dmodified
zs=email.Utils.mktime_tz(email.Utils.parsedate_tz(s))
item_dmodified = time.strftime('%m-%d-%Y  %H:%M', time.localtime(zs));
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:27:33 GMT -> 10/19/2004 6:00:00 AM

the targe filed item_date in MS SQL server is small date and time.

If i do separate query string for item_date it works but it goes into
next row not with and i want to insert it 1 single query. I have both
mxODBC base and commercial.

Please tell me what should i do? Thanks for your help and suggestion.
I hope you would help.