[DB-SIG] URI syntax for databases

Dittmar, Daniel daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Fri Apr 1 11:17:33 CEST 2005

>> An alternative would be to always use uri_connect. In
>addition, a set of
>> modules is provided that implements this uri translation for older
>> drivers. The user would then have to choose between the real
>module or
>> the translation module.
>
>That seems awkward, but I suppose doable.

Importing everything from another module (including _*) is not that
difficult.

Having a separate module would also be an advantage if the driver author
implements uri_connect, but decides to require a different uri syntax
than the implementation in the abstraction layer. This would invalidate
all URIs in configuration files etc. Not sure if this would be a real
world problem.

> That translating module would
>also have to include the rest of the required functions if it
>was to be
>a DB-API module.

What other module content do you need in addition to the connect (or
uri_connect)? I found it always cumbersome that code needs the module in
addition to the connection object. I think there exists already the
extension to the DB API that exception classes should be accessible
through the connection object. Maybe everything else should be
accessible as well?

Daniel

--
Daniel Dittmar