[DB-SIG] [SQLObject] Re: SQLite connection - relative filename

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Apr 2 00:37:44 CEST 2005

Clark, Chris M wrote:
>>def uri_parse(uri):
>>     module_name = uri.split(':', 1)

> My 2 cents: for parsing the URI I like semi-colons ';' as separators, it
> is a little ODBC like but it has less collisions than colons do.

This particular colon is for indicating the database type, like
mysql:..., or pgsql:... -- it's what makes something a URI (instead of a
DSN... though I'm even sure what DSN stands for).  After that it's
potentially entirely up to the database driver, though of course some
uniformity is nice.  Typical DSNs, from what I can tell, are parsed in
an up-front manner into a set of keys and values; though maybe they
sometimes include a prefix indicating database type...?  Java has
database URIs too, don't they?  But they are all like jdbc:..., correct?
  Of course, following that pattern you could get
dbapi:jdbc:postgresql://... which feels awfully weird to me.