[DB-SIG] URI syntax for database (was: [SQLObject] Re: SQLiteconnection - relative filename)

Vernon Cole wnvcole at peppermillcas.com
Mon Apr 4 17:37:42 CEST 2005

Ummm... a little caution here. Don't get comfortable assuming that ODBC
is a dependable measure of how to access a data base.    As is typical
of Micro$oft, and many other companies which have grown too large and
self-important, they have changed the rules.  ODBC, having become an
industry quasi-standard, is now obsoleted by ADO, the latest in a long
series of Microsoft "standards" for database access.  One of the best
things about ADO, I.M.H.O., is that it does NOT use DSNs or registry
entries.

The Python dbapi module for odbc on Windows(r) has not been maintained
for years and is acknowledged as buggy. The alternative (sorry, Mark) is
a commercial product and therefore not usable for many of us. Adodbapi
is my solution of choice.
---
Vernon Cole