[DB-SIG] Re: Looking for Stephen Turner, maintainer of informixdb

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Mon Apr 4 23:14:21 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 03:05, Michael Husmann wrote:
> Carsten Haese wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody:
> >
> > I have discovered that the functionality for connecting Python to an
> > Informix database is currently in a frustrating state of neglect. The
> > link to Kinfxdb is dead, and informixdb doesn't build on Python 2. I
> > couldn't find any usable workarounds to the build problem, so I worked
> > out successfully how to build informixdb using distutils.
> >
> > Now I'd like to share the result with the community, but the maintainer
> > appears to have gone missing. My emails to sjturner at ix.netcom.com and
> > stepturn at mediaone.net have bounced back undeliverable, so now I'm
> > posting to the lists trying to locate Stephen.
> >
> > If anybody has any pointers for locating Stephen Turner, please let me
> > know. If Stephen can't be located, I'd be willing to take over the
> > project, but I'd prefer the torch be given to me rather than me just
> > taking it.
>
> Carsten,
>
> haven't heard anything from Stephen either, but there are some extensions to
> the informixdb module. I'll send the sources to you next week. So if you
> like you can bundle everything in one package.

Michael, I'd certainly like to take a look at those extensions. (I tried
to respond to you off-list, but my mail bounced back. Is this project
cursed or am I? :) I hope you're reading this, Michael.)

A week has gone by with no replies as to Stephen's whereabouts, and one
reply telling me that I can, in good faith, go ahead and release a fork.
Unless somebody tells me I should wait longer, I guess I'll do that.
Stay tuned for the announcement on when and where my fork will be
available.

Best regards,

--
  Carsten Haese - Software Engineer   |    Phone:  (419) 861-3331
        Unique Systems, Inc.          |      FAX:  (419) 861-3340
         Maumee, OH  43537            |  mailto:carsten at uniqsys.com