[DB-SIG] Abstraction layer confusion, ULA (was Re: Database Abstraction in Python)

Tom Haddon thaddon at equilar.com
Mon Apr 18 20:08:19 CEST 2005

Hi James,

I like a lot of the features you discuss, but have two concerns that I'm hoping to understand better:

- As I understand it there is "metadata" that is needed to perform the abstraction in web.database and this is stored in the database itself. I'd also read somewhere that if you make some data changes to directly on the database that it might cause issues for web.database. This seems to me like a potential problem if it's true, as you're losing the ability to manipulate the database outside of the application for which it was written.
- Just wondering about it's relationship to the web module. Is it really part of/dependant on the rest of the web module, or is it more accurately a separate database module? My preference would be separate as otherwise it seems like the implication is that it's only applicable for/suitable for web applications.

Thanks, Tom