[DB-SIG] informixdb 1.4

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Wed Jul 6 14:38:39 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 12:24, Josef Furrer wrote:
> Hello Carsten,
>
> I've downloaded your Python Database API informixdb 1.4.
> After that I installed it on a Unix Tru64.
> So far so got. The installation is completed and successfull.
> Now I try to use this API and I have a problem.
> When I define a cursor, this cursor works but when I try to fetch the
> cursor [fetchone()], it appears every time the same informix error:
>
> "informixdb.Error: Error -482 performing FETCH: Invalid operation on a
> non-SCROLL cursor"
>
> Next step: I changed in the file _informixdb.ec on line 1056 the
> declare section to:
> EXEC SQL DECLARE :cursorName SCROLL CURSOR FOR :queryName;
> The new installation work also, but when I use now my python script I
> have no more the problem -482, but I receive the error:
> Segmentation fault
>
> What is the Problem? Can You give me a Hint?
> Can You help me please?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards,
> Josef

[I answered Josef off-list already, but since his cc finally appeared on
the list, I'll respond on-list, too.]

The problem is very mysterious since error number -482 should only occur
if you attempt a FETCH PRIOR, FETCH FIRST, FETCH LAST, FETCH CURRENT,
FETCH RELATIVE n, or FETCH ABSOLUTE n, and the informixdb code doesn't
do any of that. In addition, when I try the unnecessary change to a
scroll cursor on my Linux box, the change has no effect at all.

Since I neither have nor know Tru64, I can only guess, and my best guess
is that this problem is the result of using an Informix CSDK that's
either outdated or incompatible with the OS version. If anybody on the
list knows anything specific about Informix on Tru64, I'd like to hear
their opinion about this.

Best regards,

--
  Carsten Haese - Software Engineer   |    Phone:  (419) 861-3331
        Unique Systems, Inc.          |      FAX:  (419) 861-3340
         Maumee, OH  43537            |  mailto:carsten at uniqsys.com