[DB-SIG] pypg pure Python db driver for Postgresql

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Tue Jul 12 05:59:55 CEST 2005

I've been toying with the idea of pure Python database drivers such as
Java jdbc type 4 drivers.

I replaced the C portion of PyGreSQL to form a Python driver I'm calling
pypg.  You can download it from the location below.

http://www.tnr.cc/pypg.html

It's alpha so expect problems, but in my testing it works fine for
normal operations.

It speaks PG v3 protocol directly and it was easier to get working than
I expected.  I'm new to sockets and would really appreciate feedback on
the networking portion of the code.

Many will probably ask me why not just use the existing drivers?   The
same reasons pure Java drivers exist.  They're ultra portable and
eliminate dependencies.  Ever used Oracle with Python?  It sucks having
to install those dependencies, especially on Linux.  I use an
application called Aqua Data Studio that ships with type 4 java drivers
and that is very nice.  I too would like to be able to include db
drivers with an app.  Another reason I'm doing it is because it is fun
and educational.

I look forward to constructive criticism.

Randall