[DB-SIG] Re: [Pycon2005-attendees] Pycon2005 and database divide (ODB vs relational DB)

Peter Mott peter at monicol.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 00:30:18 CET 2005

I always understood that the weakness of Object Databases was that they
provided no general ad hoc query language like SQL (or QUEL) though there
was no a priori reason why they couldn't. The way relational databases were
grounded in 1st order predicate logic (FOPC) seemed to give them an
advantage which Object Databases despite announcements and languages to the
contrary never quite manageed to overcome. I do know that the Relational
Model is based on the logic of Frege (1879), the predicate logic, while the
object model harks back to the IS_A hierarchies underpinning the logic of
Aristotle (300 BC). I checked out the orbtech URL but found nothing about
languages, logic or even taxonomies. So give us more evidence that the world
has changed! It has been long announced but has not happened. Frege rules.

Peter