[DB-SIG] URI syntax for databases

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Mar 30 23:34:06 CEST 2005

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> What we could add an optional keyword argument uri="..." which
> database could then interpret according to your suggestion.

I suppose that would be fine -- I thought it would be easier to
implement it on top of connect instead of as an extension to that function.

> This would be backwards compatible with the existing DB API.

It's not incompatible if we add an entirely separate function, like
uri_connect (or connect_uri or whatever).  I don't want to mess with
stuff that's already there, just add something new.

> However, I don't see why the scheme name should be the name
> of the database module... I'd opt for "dbapi2:" as scheme -
> after all, that's what the protocol scheme is all about ;-)

Well, we have to start by finding the correct module to get the connect
(or connect_uri or whatever) function from.  The most obvious way is to
use the scheme as the module lookup, and let the module's function do
the rest of the parsing.  The resulting URIs look fairly URI-ish as well.