[DB-SIG] Accepted method for handling decimals?

David Rushby davidrushby at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 23:45:03 CET 2005

--- "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> However, in general, I think that we should come up with
> an easy to use way to map database types to Python
> constructors. One which is flexible enough to set these
> mappings on a per-cursor and even per-column basis.

kinterbasdb 3.2 does all of that.  I don't claim the design is
pretty, but it implements the column->cursor->connection->module
type conversion settings cascade that you spoke of.  It has
special cases for things like non-materialized (streaming) blob
support.

The ridiculously clunky Interbase/Firebird C API makes the
implementation hairy, but it works.