[DB-SIG] Forking ADODBAPI

Erik Rose psucorp at grinchcentral.com
Thu Oct 13 22:48:55 CEST 2005

> I am among those who have submitted patches.  I get the idea (perhaps
> unfounded) that the guys who made ADODBAPI now work for Micro$oft and
> that their employer does not WANT them to maintain it.  A pity, if so.

Hmm, Google doesn't show me any evidence of MS having assimilated
him. ;-) If it's the same Henrik Ekelund, he seems to be CEO of the
BTS Group in San Fran and a board member of several European
companies: http://www.prodapt.com/about_prodaptteam.htm . Maybe he's
just extremely busy. Regardless, he seems to have lost interest in
this project.

>   Sourceforge seems have a policy for other volunteers taking over an
> inactive project. I think it would be better to try that than to
> make a
> new effort.  I am trying to contact the existing project administrator
> by sending him a copy of this message. If there is continued
> silence, we
> should try taking over this project, I would think.
>   Comments or volunteers, anyone?

I agree we should definitely get ahold of the Sourceforge project if
we can, but, in my ideal universe, I'd still go with a Trac setup and
just point the Sourceforge page to it. Trac has a much better UI than
Sourceforge provides, and Subversion is a significant improvement
over CVS (I'm a CVS refugee myself). I'm willing to host it for free
on my dedicated server, which would give us the most power and
flexibility. If that scares people, python-hosting.com offers the
same thing for free, at the price of a more restricted environment.
(Example: http://cherrytemplate.python-hosting.com/)

For anyone who hasn't played with it, here's the ultimate example of
a Trac environment: its own self-hosted development site at http://
projects.edgewall.com/trac/ . (It's got some cruft and ads that I
would leave out, of course.)

Cheers,
Erik