[DB-SIG] mysql string length?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 00:24:40 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 12:01 +0000, Andrew Chambers wrote:
> * Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com> [2006-04-14 12:00:09 -0500]:
>
> > INSERT INTO table_x( body)VALUES( '%s')" %  (body)
> >
> > this body is a string that varies in size. I keep getting an error if
> > the size of body is longer then 255, and if its smaller everything
> > goes smooth. Is this syntax correct? should '%s' be something else?
>
> What is the datatype of body?  It sounds like it is CHAR(255).  Can you
> change this to be TEXT?

Yes it is text.
mysql> describe table_x;
+----------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field    | Type    | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| id | int(11) |      | PRI | 0       |       |
| body     | text    | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

Would some kind of characters that are passed in had something to do
with the error, maybe EOF or something similar?

The string that is passed in is from xml node. For debugging i made it
return str(body), but that didn't change anything.

Are there any other database/%s related requirements?

Lukasz