[DB-SIG] date/time handling

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Tue Aug 1 23:34:22 CEST 2006

Hello all,

trying to improve date/time handling in PyGreSQL we stumbled over the
following questions:

1) Should mx.DateTime still be preferred over stdlib datetime (if both
are available)? Or should we handle it the other way around meanwhile?

2) We want to provide a possibility to explicitly choose the preferred
date/time type, i.e. mx.DateTime or stdlib datetime or even Ticks or
Python tuples, or strings.

The mx.odbc module does this via an attribute "datetimeformat" of the
connection object that can be set to constant values named
DATETIME_DATETIMEFORMAT or STRING_DATETIMEFORMAT (unfortunately, the
former means mx.DateTime in this context, and there is no value defined
for stdlib datetime).

Do you think this is a good idea? Maybe we can agree on a preliminary
standard that can be proposed for a future DB-API 3 (btw, is there any
work in progress to create such a new version)?

-- Christoph