[DB-SIG] date/time handling

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Sat Aug 5 12:04:43 CEST 2006

Python at venix.com wrote:
 > If mx.DateTime is present, the sysadmin
 > went to extra effort to put it there.  Can we infer that it's there
 > because it is preferred?  To me that suggests importing mx.DateTime
 > first and then falling back on the stdlib.

As far as I understand, mx.DateTime is part of the mx base package,
containing also other things such as mxTextTools. So the intent of the
admin could have been to provide these things only. I don't like the
idea that the admin can break or change applications (he might not even
be aware of) simply by installing the mx.base package. What we really
need is a way for DB-API apps to explicitely declare what datetime
module shall be used. ("Explicit is better than implicit." and "In the
face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.")

-- Chris