[DB-SIG] SQL DDL

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Thu Nov 16 19:43:32 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 13:18 -0500, Art Protin wrote:
> Dear folks,
>       In earlier messages, I noted that the Specification (v2.0) does
> not adequately express that the "operation" argument is SQL (although
> the coverage of the API in "PYHON in a Nutshell is hardly ambiguous at
> all).  Now I am wondering about the distinction between SQL DQL (Data
> Query Language) and SQL DDL (Data Definition Language).  Is there
> intended to be any support for DDL in this API?  (I am not sure of if or
> how I could put that support into the implementation I am working on,
> but I do not need to think about it much if none is intended.)

I'm afraid you'll have to think about it, unless the database engine
you're interfacing with doesn't support any kind of DDL, which I find
unlikely. The (unwritten) intent of the specification is that an
implementation should support any operation that is supported by the
underlying DBMS. For SQL engines that means DQL, DML, DDL, and DCL.

Maybe it would help if you explained why you think you need to make an
exception for DDL.

-Carsten