[DB-SIG] thoughts about OpenGIS extensions

Federico Di Gregorio fog at initd.org
Tue Oct 3 14:39:35 CEST 2006

Il giorno mar, 03/10/2006 alle 13.17 +0200, Mario Frasca ha scritto:
> I can't remember if type adaptation and type-caster registration are
> a prerogative of psycopg2 or are in general available on all db-api2
> modules.

They are a prerogative of psycopg but other drivers offer similar
methods.

> > This feature is used by the GeoTypes module that adds support
> > for all geometrical types to psycopg. See:
> > http://initd.org/tracker/psycopg/wiki/GeoTypes
>
> I just downloaded it.  I'm mostly interested in seeing how you manage
> to translate data from postgresql to the client program.  I mean: how
> you recognize it's gis data and not just any blob...

Because they are real types in PostgreSQL (one of the few backends out
there that allows for user-defined types) and not just blobs of data.

federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio                         http://people.initd.org/fog
Debian GNU/Linux Developer                                fog at debian.org
INIT.D Developer                                           fog at initd.org
  Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it. Poorly.
                                     -- from Karl M. Hegbloom .signature