[DB-SIG] New take on PostgreSQL bindings for Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Sep 8 15:33:58 CEST 2006

Cristian Gafton wrote:
> <complaints about the DB-API not being specific enough>
>
> I don't believe the
> driver authors are to blame - just take a look around at any bindings for
> any backend and count the number of extensions people felt compelled to
> add in. The desire to provide a richer functionality and more control to
> the application developer is certainly there. The problem is that DB API
> leaves too many questions unanswered and skips many implementation details
> and guidelines.

That's a misunderstanding on your part, I believe.

The DB-API was designed to provide a specification for an interface
in such a way that it is possible to write database modules for a
variety of backends, including more and less capable ones.

In doing so, the spec deliberately leaves certain details unspecified
and only requires certain interfaces to be present and having
semantics of a predefined nature. The general principle is keeping
the DB-API spec simple while leaving enough room for module
authors to extend the interface in ways which may be appropriate
for the chosen database backend.

Over time, some of these extensions have made it into the DB-API
spec as standardized optional extensions (see PEP 249) which
will then make their way into DB-API 3.0.

If you have questions regarding the DB-API spec, just ask here
and we'll try to help. This may even result in new standard
extensions to the DB-API.

eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 08 2006)