[DB-SIG] paramstyles, again

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Mon Jun 4 01:40:29 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 01:07 -0700, Vern Cole wrote:
> I am sold. +1 on requiring support of
> 'qmark' and 'named' parameter styles.

Could I sell you on making numeric style required, too?

>   Implementors, like me, who are running qmark only
> databases will have to parse the dictionary for 'named' parameters and
> build a qmark string
> as part of the cursor.execute() method.  No big deal.

You mean you'd parse the query string, right?

> Next question: can't I determine the paramstyle by looking at the
> second parameter of c.execute()?

If you're parsing the query string, you already know which parameter
style the query uses.

> Only if I support other (nonstandard) styles will I really ever need
> to have someone specify
> which to expect.

What non-standard styles are you expecting to support?

Regards,

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net