[DB-SIG] paramstyles, again (and now voting)

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Jun 4 18:00:19 CEST 2007

Carsten Haese wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 10:14 -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
>> Is there a wiki where I can start cataloging the cases for the various cases?
>
> There is http://wiki.python.org/moin/

Hey look, much of this is already there:

Unified Parameter Style
http://wiki.python.org/moin/DbApi3?highlight=%28dbapi%29#head-88df6649e674265578517ee6b9fd421e18b87af1

>> I am sure I saw a good case for qmark, but I can't for the life of me remember
>> what it was.  I will eventually dig though the archives, but as long as I am
>> doing that I may as well list what I find.
>
> I don't know if that qualifies as a good case for qmark, but qmark is
> SQL standard.

That may have been it.  I'll be sure to add it to the list.

>> Also, I would like to add to the ballot:
>> * support multiple styles
>> * something about auto.
>> * something about specifying the format
>>
>> I am currently against multiple, so someone who is for it will have to figure
>> out how to phrase those 2nd two. :)
>
> In the interest of programmer freedom, module implementers should have
> the option of allowing multiple styles. In the interest of ease of
> implementation, this should be optional, not mandatory.
>
> The exact same case can be made for auto-detection.

I will begrudgingly add that too :)

> The case against format and pyformat goes like this: It looks too much
> like string interpolation, which may lead to bad code, and it requires
> percent signs in queries to be doubled up, which is an ugly wart.

doubled up percent signs - that was it.

Also there is no point in specifying a data type, right?

Carl K