[DB-SIG] paramstyles, again (and now voting)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jun 20 23:15:54 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 22:51, Carsten Haese wrote:

> If I counted correctly, six votes were cast and the totals are:
>
> qmark 3
> named 4
> numeric -1
> format -5
> pyformat -2
>
> So the winner seems to be "named" unless six votes aren't enough to
> constitute consensus.

Well, as was pointed out already, qmark is part of the SQL standard and should
feature as part of the absolute minimum level of support for parameters in
the DB-API. I've seen named and numeric in Oracle environments only, and I'm
not convinced that in my last excursion into Oracle JDBC territory those
paramtypes were even permitted, even though Oracle likes to break standards
and conventions wherever it feels like it.

Paul