[DB-SIG] SQLObject 0.10.0
phd at phd.pp.ru
Tue Mar 11 14:40:31 CET 2008
I'm pleased to announce version 0.10.0, the first stable release of 0.10 branch
What is SQLObject
SQLObject is an object-relational mapper. Your database tables are described
as classes, and rows are instances of those classes. SQLObject is meant to be
easy to use and quick to get started with.
SQLObject supports a number of backends: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, and
Firebird. It also has newly added support for Sybase, MSSQL and MaxDB (also
known as SAPDB).
Where is SQLObject
News and changes:
News since 0.9
Features & Interface
* Dropped support for Python 2.2. The minimal version of Python for
SQLObject is 2.3 now.
* Removed actively deprecated attributes;
lowered deprecation level for other attributes to be removed after 0.10.
* SQLBuilder Select supports the rest of SelectResults options (reversed,
distinct, joins, etc.)
* SQLObject.select() (i.e., SelectResults) and DBConnection.queryForSelect()
use SQLBuilder Select queries; this make all SELECTs implemented
internally via a single mechanism.
* SQLBuilder Joins handle SQLExpression tables (not just str/SQLObject/Alias)
and properly sqlrepr.
* Added SQLBuilder ImportProxy. It allows one to ignore the circular import
issues with referring to SQLObject classes in other files - it uses the
classregistry as the string class names for FK/Joins do, but specifically
intended for SQLBuilder expressions. See
* Added SelectResults.throughTo. It allows one to traverse relationships
(FK/Join) via SQL, avoiding the intermediate objects. Additionally, it's
a simple mechanism for pre-caching/eager-loading of later FK
relationships (i.e., going to loop over a select of somePeople and ask
for aPerson.group, first call list(somePeople.throughTo.group) to preload
those related groups and use 2 db queries instead of N+1). See
* Added ViewSQLObject.
* Added sqlmeta.getColumns() to get all the columns for a class (including
parent classes), excluding the column 'childName' and including the column
'id'. sqlmeta.asDict() now uses getColumns(), so there is no need to
override it in the inheritable sqlmeta class; this makes asDict() to work
properly on inheritable sqlobjects.
* Allow MyTable.select(MyTable.q.foreignKey == object) where object is
an instance of SQLObject.
* Added rich comparison methods; SQLObjects of the same class are
considered equal is they have the same id; other methods return
* RowDestroySignal is sent on destroying an SQLObject instance; postfunctions
are run after the row has been destroyed.
* Changed the implementation type in BoolCol under SQLite from TINYINT to
BOOLEAN and made fromDatabase machinery to recognize it.
* MySQLConnection (and DB URI) accept a number of SSL-related parameters:
ssl_key, ssl_cert, ssl_ca, ssl_capath.
* Use sets instead of dicts in tablesUsed. Dropped tablesUsedDict function;
instead there is tablesUsedSet that returns a set of strings.
* SQLBuilder tablesUsedSet handles sqlrepr'able objects.
* Under MySQL, PickleCol no longer uses TEXT column types; the smallest
column is now BLOB - it is not possible to create TINYBLOB column.
For a more complete list, please see the news:
Oleg Broytmann http://phd.pp.ru/ phd at phd.pp.ru
Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.
More information about the DB-SIG