[DB-SIG] newbie question on trapping a DB error message using psycopg2 / DB-API

Chris Wood chris.wood at bookitnow.ca
Sat Oct 4 00:00:59 CEST 2008

If I run a python program that calls a stored procedure without a "try:" ,
I see a descriptive message in the error that is returned (highlighted
inyellowbelow):

>>> cur.execute("select * from f_test_return_error2('normon')")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/psycopg2/extras.py", line 48, in
execute
    return _cursor.execute(self, query, vars, async)
psycopg2.ProgrammingError: Error.  Party name normon not found in the party
table.

but if I put the "cur.execute" in a "try:" / "except:" I cannot figure out
where to get the error text that I need,
can anyone help please??

I know it is possible because a friend of mine can get it back from
SQLAlchemy and SQLAlchemy uses psycopg2.

thanks,
- chris