[DB-SIG] Test Suite?

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Thu Oct 29 11:42:20 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Chris Clark <Chris.Clark at ingres.com> wrote:

> I'm using http://stuartbishop.net/Software/DBAPI20TestSuite/ which is the
> original that Vernon was referring to. Vernon is your Launchpad project only
> for Python 3.x?
>
> There is also http://code.google.com/p/acute-dbapi/ (note I've not used it,
> I've not had chance to check it out). I get the impression this builds on
> http://stuartbishop.net/Software/DBAPI20TestSuite/ based on the credits

> So in summary I'd suggest http://stuartbishop.net/Software/DBAPI20TestSuite/
>
> If you could report any findings here I would appreciate it! If we can all
> agree on which test to use we can be in the same state as Java with a
> definitive test suite.

I've not seen acute-dbapi. If it is better than the tests I'm
maintaining, I'm quite happy to pass the torch or accept patches. I'm
currently not able to put much work into my code base besides being
custodian.

I two would love to see Unicode handling added to the spec. I'd also
like to see many of the optional components become required (the ones
that all the major drivers support already).

Now we have support in Python core, it might be nice if a compliance
suite could be added to Python core too. One thing I noticed with the
test suite was how differently developers interpreted the spec - the
test suite suite was much less open to interpretation than the spec as
tests either passed or they didn't. (Not that Python core is necessary
- maintaining the test suite in tandem with the spec has worked out ok
so far even if it does lag behind major Python releases).

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/