[DB-SIG] DB scheme question

John Q. Public sqlite3.user at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 21:03:40 CET 2010

Hi Dieter,

I don't think I fully understand your suggestion.
>From an OOP point of view, my application consists of 4 objects:
    1. atoms
    2. molecules - contain atoms
    3. matters - contain molecules
    4. versions - contain all the above
The scheme suggested has 4 tables to hold the objects and 4 more tables to
represent the connections by pairing foreign keys (e.g. atoms in molecules,
molecules in matters and the three of the above in versions). Since I lake
the experience in db programming,  I would appreciate if you can point my
implementation mistakes so I could learn from them.

regarding the redundancy, each version contains few thousands of atoms,
molecules and matters and the differences between versions is up to few
tens. Isn't it a waste to hold all this relations in a table
(atoms/molecules/matters to version). On the other hand, is it possible that
my suggested relation might cause inefficient SELECT statements when
searching for a version parameters?

J.