[DB-SIG] How to best connect to AS/400 for data

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 21:15:13 CET 2010

Jim:
1) I have successfully accessed AS/400 SQL data using adodbapi and IBM
Client Access Express. (You must install the ADO option for CAExpress, which
is not part if the default.)   I have a production program which has been
using that combination for several years.

2) adodbapi was supposed to work with SQLalchemy last time I checked.  It
was not the preferred platform, but I have tried to add some requested
features to make adodbapi more SQLAlchemy friendly. In particular,
cursor.rowcount almost always works now.

3) Given the above two facts, it might be possible to use adodbapi,
SQLAlchemy, and CAExpress to do what you want.  Be warned, however: the IBM
dialect of SQL is pretty weird -- I tried to add AS/400 tests to the
adodbapi test suite and gave up in frustration. It may take some work to get
them playing well together.

4) If you want to try this, please use the new test version of adodbapi
which is in the Mercurial  source tree at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/adodbapi/develop. [Note: NOT the CVS tree.]
The refactoring was mostly to add django support, but any changes to help
with SQLAlchemy should go into that version.  Early reports say that the new
version works okay.
--
Vernon Cole