[DB-SIG] Having legs into diffents PostgreSQL versions?!?

wiztricks wiztricks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:35:06 CET 2010

Hi Gents,

I have old client/servers applications using PostgresSQL 7.2 or 7.3 (I don't
remember for sure) which are components of an existing production system. In
order to renew some parts of it without disturbing things that works, I
figured out to isolate and confine the new stuff.

Initially, customer planned to "upgrade" its PostgresSQL to 8.4, but other
projects delayed the operation.
So I may end having the "borders" of my stuff with a leg into 7.2 and
another leg into 8.4.
Well I mean having piece of code reading and writing db records from 7.2 and
8.4 databases.

How can I get this mix working from a DBAPI point of view?
Are someone aware of restrictions using such 'old' db drivers from Python
2.6 or later?

Don't just tell me there are better places in the world...:-)

I just try to figure out if we could get something workable for a couple of
month, i.e. am I really stuck to wait the upgrade.

-W