[DB-SIG] Having legs into diffents PostgreSQL versions?!?

Federico Di Gregorio fog at initd.org
Sun Jan 17 11:07:44 CET 2010

On 16/01/2010 16:50, wiztricks wrote:
>> per definition the actual PostgreSQL driver shall be able to access
>> > also ancient versions of PostgreSQL; and you should also be able to
>> > profit from at least some of the bugfixes within the PostgreSQL
>> > connection libraries of the last oneandahalf decade.
>> >
> I was so disappointed by customer delays to upgrade that I haven't looked at
> this possibility.
> But you're right the psycopg2 FAQ states that 7.* should works.
> Thanks to point this: you make my day!

Last psycopg2 versions depend on libpq features found in >= 8.3. It
should be ok to compile against a modern libpq and then connect to an
ancient backend but I never tried that. If it does not work just use an
old version of psycopg1 togheter with psycopg2: they use different
namespaces so you should be able to load and use them both at the same time.

federico