[DB-SIG] Having legs into diffents PostgreSQL versions?!?

wiztricks wiztricks at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 19:26:57 CET 2010

Hi Frederico,

Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> Last psycopg2 versions depend on libpq features found in >= 8.3. It
> should be ok to compile against a modern libpq and then connect to an
> ancient backend but I never tried that. If it does not work just use an
> old version of psycopg1 togheter with psycopg2: they use different
> namespaces so you should be able to load and use them both at the same
> time.

Given your tips, psycopg2 over 7.2 does not look workable.
Even if I am able to compile we could waste a lot of time to understand why
the test suite does not work. Worse, if we get it working, any issue could
open doubts and nightmares.

Thus 7.2 data will be accessed through psycopg1 at the DBAPI level until
database has been updated.
We don't have so many dependencies on old datas for the first iteration:
most reads, few tables,...
When database will be updated, we will have to change the connexion string
and pass few non reg. tests.

We just have to get the database updated long before the second iteration -
as it will have more dependencies with existing data.

Anyway, thanks for your time and best regards
- W