[DB-SIG] pyodbc: help interpreting help

Chris Curvey chris at chriscurvey.com
Thu Oct 7 03:19:28 CEST 2010

Maybe a quick example would help.

# connection strings vary, see www.connectionstrings.com for an example for
your database
connection = pyodbc.connect("your-connection-string-here")

# grab a cursor from the connection (you can have multiple cursors from a
connection)
cursor = connection.cursor()

# assumes you have a table called 'addreses' with three columns
cursor.execute("select name, city, state from addresses")

# fetchall() returns a list (tuple?) of tuples.  So it would look like
# ( ( "Bill", "Redmond", "WA),
#   ( "Steve", "Cupertino", "CA"),
#   ("Barack", "Washington", "DC")
#)

# gotta handle all the fetched stuff
for (name, city, state) in cursor.fetchall():
    # just print the name and state
    print name, state

Does that help?

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Goldsmith, David <dgol461 at ecy.wa.gov> wrote:

>  Hi!  Probably ‘cause I’m new to DBs, I’m having trouble understanding
> pyodbc’s help.  For example, what kind of Python object is a “results set”?
> In particular, the syntax portion of the docstring for the tables method of
> a cursor object states that it returns self, but the text portion of the
> docstring says it “creates a results set of tables defined in the data
> source.”  It goes on to say that “each row fetched has the following
> columns: …2) table_name: The table name…”  It is simply a Python list of
> these that I want, but the API for actually returning such is far from
> clear: how does one access the collection of “fetched rows” (what kind of
> Python object is the collection and what is its name in the local
> dictionary) and how does one “slice out” one or more columns from it?
> Please help.  Thanks!
>

> --------------------------------------
> David Goldsmith
> Washington State Department of Ecology
> Environmental Assessment Program
> Modeling and Information Support Unit
> 300 Desmond Drive  | P.O. Box 47600
> Lacey, WA  98503   | Olympia, WA  98504-7600
> Tel:     (360) 407-6194
> Fax:     (360) 407-6884
> Email:   david.goldsmith at ecy.wa.gov
> Station: C2D-59
> Web:     http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/eap/

Ignoring that little voice in my head since 1966!