[DB-SIG] pyodbc: help interpreting help

Goldsmith, David dgol461 at ECY.WA.GOV
Thu Oct 7 17:19:26 CEST 2010

Thanks, Marc-Andre.  That sounds interesting; unfortunately, I don't
have any money to spend. :-(

DG

-----Original Message-----
From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal at egenix.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:13 AM
To: Goldsmith, David
Cc: db-sig at python.org
Subject: Re: [DB-SIG] pyodbc: help interpreting help

Goldsmith, David wrote:
> Hi!  Probably 'cause I'm new to DBs, I'm having trouble understanding
> pyodbc's help.  For example, what kind of Python object is a "results
> set"?  In particular, the syntax portion of the docstring for the
tables
> method of a cursor object states that it returns self, but the text
> portion of the docstring says it "creates a results set of tables
> defined in the data source."  It goes on to say that "each row fetched
> has the following columns: ...2) table_name: The table name..."  It is
> simply a Python list of these that I want, but the API for actually
> returning such is far from clear: how does one access the collection
of
> "fetched rows" (what kind of Python object is the collection and what
is
> its name in the local dictionary) and how does one "slice out" one or
> more columns from it?  Please help.  Thanks!

Not sure whether that's an option, but you could try our mxODBC
which uses standard tuples, lists, etc.:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

Here's the documentation:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/mxODBC.pdf

or for online reading (but not as nicely formatted):

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/doc/

eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 07 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/