[DB-SIG] dbf files and compact indices

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sun Sep 19 06:51:56 CEST 2010

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 10:44:06 -0700, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>
>

>>I have a pure-python module to read db3 and vfp 6 dbf files, and I find
>>that I need to read (and write) the idx and cdx index files that foxpro
>>generates.  We are in the process of switching from homegrown foxpro
>>apps to homegrown python apps, but I have to support the foxpro file
>>formats until the switch is complete.  Once I have the index files down,
>>I'll publish another release of it (an older version can be found on PyPI).
>>

> 	Seems odd that you'd have to do all that low-level processing... Do
> you have the VFP ODBC driver on the systems? That would permit just
> using ODBC queries to operate on the data.

Hmmm.  I may look at that.  When I first started this project, I was
brand new to Python and unaware of all the cool stuff out there.  It was
a great learning project -- iterators, magic methods, emulating
sequences and attributes, properties, class methods, inheritence,
packages... it has been quite an adventure!

It's probably a safe bet that I don't /need/ to, but I certainly /want/
to.  It would be a finished project, and a sense of accomplishment.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
~Ethan~