[DB-SIG] Some obscurity with paramstyle

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jul 19 01:00:31 CEST 2011

Michael Bayer wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2011, at 3:52 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> Vernon Cole wrote:
>>>

>>> That possibility has been discussed before, and is particularly timely given
>>> that it is impossible to write a PEP 249 compliant module in Python 3.  [For
>>> example, the PEP states that an Error exception "must be a subclass of the
>>> Python StandardError" -- which Python 3 does not support.]
>>>
>>> Marc-André Lemburg (the author of PEP 249) came out against an update --
>>> mostly due to performance reasons.
>>
>> Not sure, where you read that :-)
>>
>> I'm not opposed to a DB API 3, but since there are only a few
>> things on the table for DB API 3 and the adoption of Python 3.x
>> has just started, so it's not all that urgent.
>
> Do you have an idea in mind when effort on the new spec might be happening ?   If I can find the time I'd want to contribute a compliance suite, and/or update the old one (since I'd like DBAPI 3 to be a lot more specific about some things).

We might as well start now. I've been wanting to kick off the process
for about a year now, but never really got around to it (too many
other projects).

The talks I gave at EuroPython mentions a few things I think should
go into the DB API 3. The list archives will likely have a few more.

eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 19 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/