[DB-SIG] dBase III and VFP tables

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Jul 20 19:36:13 CEST 2011

Carl Karsten wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> as well as ignoring trailing white space for comparisons)
>
> _backwards computability_ is the only reason to implement this in the
> driver, and given there is currenly no code relying on it, nothing
> will break if you don't.  So don't :)

Okay, have you written a book?  'Cause I'm ready to buy it.  ;)

The reason I have that (and I can make it be the option, not the
default), is that without it I have to write.... oh -- I could use
.startswith(), couldn't I?  Well, I was going to say that code such as:

# look for so-and-so...
for rec in table:
     if rec.full_name == 'John Doe':
         do_something_with(rec)

and of course this will fail because FULL_NAME is a 40 character field,
and I should have said

     if rec.full_name == 'John Doe                                '

and I really don't want to do that!  Also, .startswith() is not the same
as ignoring trailing whitespace.

Given this little example, would you still not worry about trailing
whitespace?

~Ethan~