[DB-SIG] [cx-oracle-users] cx_Oracle 5.1.2

Anthony Tuininga anthony.tuininga at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 06:50:29 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM, James C. McPherson
<James.McPherson at oracle.com> wrote:
> On  7/07/12 01:30 PM, Anthony Tuininga wrote:
>>
>> What is cx_Oracle?
>>
>> cx_Oracle is a Python extension module that allows access to Oracle and
>> conforms to the Python database API 2.0 specifications with a few
>> exceptions.
>

> Hi Anthony,
> Could I clarify with you please, is it possible to build cx_Oracle
> so that I can support several different versions of the rdbms from
> the one cx_Oracle installation?
>
> ie, do I need a separate build for each 10g/11i/... version that I
> want to support, or can one build support them all (assuming a certain
> minimum rdbms version)?

The client you use is what matters. There are some situations where
the client won't work correctly with the server but they are few and
far between. You should be able to pick one client and access
databases of any current version (10i and 11g whether 32-bit or
64-bit) and use them with one cx_Oracle install. Hope that helps.

Anthony