[DB-SIG] Getting a list of tables from a database

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Tue May 15 04:06:12 CEST 2012

Eddy:
  As you discovered, every different database system has a unique way of
getting a table listing.  The problem with attempting to make a uniform
tool for doing that at the PEP 249 level, is that some api packages (such
as the one I maintain for Microsoft ADO, and anything that does ODBC) may
attach to dozens of different engines.  Mine will basically hook up to
anything _except_ sqlite. I have no idea which engine or engines may show
up at the other end.  I attempt to let the user determine that by prividing
the  non-standard attributes connection.dbs_name and
connection.dbs_version.  (I borrowed the idea from mxodbc.)  The most we
should hope for at the PEP 249 level would be to have those attributes
become part of the standard.

  I think that it would be wonderful if someone (you could volunteer) were
to make a package which does exactly what you suggest. That package would
have to determine what the underlying engine is, then give the correct
commands. If you write it, I will use it.  I'ld even contribute the query
for Microsft SQL tables.
--
Vernon Cole