[DB-SIG] Use of context managers with DB API 2

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Thu Nov 1 15:01:40 CET 2012

We're currently preparing a new release of PyGreSQL and want to make use
of context managers. My obvious idea was to let connections and cursors
act as context managers that just close themselves, and add an extra
context manager in form of a "transaction" property on the connection
object that can be used to wrap transactions.

However, I then noticed that PySqlite, cx_Oracle, mx_odbc and pyodbc use
connection as context managers differently, they do not close the
connection on exit, but execute a rollback or commit instead.

Though I felt a separate context manager for wrapping transactions would
have been a better solution, I now think I should better follow the
above examples and wrap transactions in the context manager of the
connection, it looks like it already has become a quasi standard. Any
opinions on that or reasons why it has been implemented this way?

-- Christoph