[DB-SIG] Prepared statements in python drivers

Peter Eisentraut peter_e at gmx.net
Mon Apr 7 23:21:55 CEST 2014

On 3/24/14, 12:53 PM, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:
> - is there enough consensus - not only in the Python world - about how
> to implement a prepared statements interface on a db driver?

In other languages, there is often a parameter on the connection handle
saying whether (the analogue of) a prepare+execute call should be only a
parameter substitution or a full prepared statement.  I think this is
due to the historical confusion between these aspects and therefore not
a good idea for a new API.  In Python, adding an explicit prepare
function and having that actually prepare in all cases sounds like a
decent idea to me.