[DB-SIG] Improved support for prepared SQL statements

Michael Bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Sun Dec 21 20:56:24 CET 2014

M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> Whether or not a cursor is client or server side depends on many
> things and is generally database backend specific. MS SQL Server
> for example will default to server side cursors and revert to
> client side for some special cases:

this is why I’m so troubled by the concept that a user of the DBAPI needs to
be aware of this backend-specific issue as a guide as to whether or not the
complicated and itself-expensive pooling of cursors on the application side
is necessary in order to gain performance (performance gains that need to be
greater than the performance lost by the complexity of pooling the cursors
behind some facade); not just at the per-database level, but at the use-case
level, as you state here with SQL Server’s driver choosing server- or
client- side cursors based on different conditions. I would much prefer that
DBAPIs handle the optimization of this underlying backend detail for us. It
is too low-level an issue to be exposed in a Python API as a normal matter
of course.

One of the jobs of SQLAlchemy is to try to abstract over issues like this in
the DBAPI, as the DBAPI makes so many of them apparent; the six parameter
formats, the totally idiosyncratic behavior of unicode objects, the many
ways to set up isolation levels, the many ways to set up autocommit, the
great lack of common, specific datatypes, etc. I’d like there to be a DBAPI
someday that tries to reduce the number of idiosyncrasies exposed in favor
of the drivers themselves using standard, documented techniques to handle
them behind the scenes.