[DB-SIG] PEP 249

Mike Bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Thu Oct 18 09:07:26 EDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 5:46 AM M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> On 16.10.2018 16:37, Mike Bayer wrote:
> > AFAIK , Postgresql is the only major relational database that has an
> > actual non-blocking protocol.    The other databases all require that
> > "async" be simulated in the context of blocking IO.
>
> ODBC does have an async I/O API as well, but I don't know
> how wide spread the implementation of this API is among ODBC
> drivers.
>
> Python modules talking wire protocol and thus having full
> control over sockets could certainly support an async variant
> of the DB-API as well.

right, unusual though that given async's intense popularity in Python
right now, I haven't seen any drivers doing this with say, MySQL,
which you would think would be the most obvious target, considering
there are multiple pure-Python drivers already.

> E.g. we have added async support to mxODBC Connect (which uses
> its own wire protocol) via gevent a long time ago and it works
> well in that context. We did not introduce any API changes
> for this, only a config option to enable support:

Well, "gevent" unfortunately does not count with the "async" crowd
these days, I agree it's the easiest way to get at non-blocking
behaviors but Python's asyncio is all the rage right now and it
requires very dramatic API changes.