[DB-SIG] Discontinuing the pymssql Project

Randy Syring randy at thesyrings.us
Wed Nov 6 14:48:33 EST 2019

I believe it's become necessary to discontinue the pymssql project.
Pymssql is a dbapi2 drive for Microsoft SQL server.

Full Announcement: https://github.com/pymssql/pymssql/issues/668

> Thank you to everyone who has contributed to pymssql over the years.
> Unfortunately, I believe it's time to discontinue pymssql. It provides
> an incredible amount of utility to those of us that need to connect to
> MSSQL from Python. But, as a project, it has failed to attract enough
> interest/talent/funding to maintain it.
>
> Why discontinue it and not let someone else maintain it? We've tried
> over the years. See #516
> <https://github.com/pymssql/pymssql/issues/516>. We have got a few
> people drop by to help occasionally, but nothing sustained enough to
> feel like transfer of the project was warranted.
>
> I had always hoped my consulting business would be able to help
> maintain the library for clients that use it. But there is too much
> work here for us to tackle that doesn't really benefit our client's
> usage and we transitioned to PyODBC earlier this year.
>
> I'm also concerned that if I simply abandon the project a bad actor
> could gain control and start installing nasty stuff on what I am sure
> is a lot of corporate servers.
>
> It's my hope that by discontinuing this project better solutions will
> be developed and/or adopted to take it's place.
>

>   Other Related Issues
>
>   * Proposal to discontinue pymssql in favor of pyodbc #477
>     <https://github.com/pymssql/pymssql/issues/477>
>   * Maintainers Needed - Apply Within #516
>     <https://github.com/pymssql/pymssql/issues/516>
>   * Finding grants/funding for pymssql development #621
>     <https://github.com/pymssql/pymssql/issues/621>
>

>   Alternatives
>
>   * pyodbc <https://github.com/mkleehammer/pyodbc>: Microsoft backed
>       o But see: https://github.com/level12/sqlalchemy_pyodbc_mssql
>   * ctds <https://github.com/zillow/ctds>: by Zillow
>

>   Interested in Taking Over?
>
> Just fork pymssql and start your own project. Gain momentum, show
> progress, and I'd be happy to link to your project from here.
>

>   Next Steps
>
> I'm going to leave this issue open for suggestions on how best to
> deprecate/discontinue pymssql as a project. I'm sure there will be
> some who will suddenly be very interested in helping. I won't be
> considering those requests at this point. If you want to help, see
> above about forking.
>
> At the end of November, 2019 I'm going to Archive this GH repository
> which will make it read-only.
>
> I'll also need to figure out how to deprecate packages on PyPI so that
> people installing know the project is being discontinued.

*Randy Syring*
Husband | Father | Redeemed Sinner

/"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36 ESV)/