[DB-SIG] ETL Helper v0.9.0

Stevenson, John A. jostev at bgs.ac.uk
Wed Aug 26 07:15:16 EDT 2020

Hi,

I'd like to introduce ETL Helper.  It is a library that we developed in the  British Geological Survey to simplify transfer of data between databases.  I hope that it will be useful to members of this list.  I would also be very grateful for any feedback.

https://pypi.org/project/etlhelper/

The aim of ETL Helper was to allow users with little Python experience (scientists and DBAs) to be able to access data.  The library handles importing drivers, formatting connection strings and cursor management to reduce the amount of boilerplate code required to run a query.

It uses DBAPI2 features to provide a consistent interface for Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL  Server and SQLite databases by wrapping around the underlying drivers (cx_Oracle, psycopg2, pyodbc, sqlite3) and abstracting away differences (connection string format, error names, execute_batch vs executemany).

We have an internal Oracle database at BGS, so etlhelper includes a script to install Instant Client onto Linux machines.

We have been using the library internally for nearly two years so I am confident in the code, however it would be great to have comments from Python developers who have greater expertise than we do.

Cheers
John
This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses. Opinions, conclusions or other information in this message and attachments that are not related directly to UKRI business are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of UKRI.