[DCPIGgies] Wash. D.C. Area: DCPIGgies, Mar. 13

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:21:10 -0500 (EST)

Notice to all Washington DC area Python users:

We will be having our first DCPIGgies (DC Python Interest Group)
meeting of the year on Monday March 13, 2000 from 7:30pm to 9:00pm at
CNRI in Reston, Va.

Speaker: Scott Cotton

	    Static Type and Interface Checking for Python
	       General Review and Fundamental Decisions

			       Abstract
			      ----------
This presentation reviews various possible ways of adding static type
checking to python.  The problem poses two questions:

    1) What sort of static type checking system would be most
    appropriate for python?
    2) By what means may static type checking be made optional?

A decision tree for each question is presented based on a combination
of type theory, an understanding of python, and properties that have
become apparent in the development of a sample type checking system.
Finally, we discuss some overall approaches that would maximize the
benefits and/or minimize the drawbacks of adding optional static type
checking to python.

Scott will be speaking from 8:00 to 9:00pm.  We will have food and
introductions starting at 7:30pm.  We may also have some time after
the talk for Q&A with Guido and Barry on Python and JPython.

Pizza, salad, and soda will be provided courtesy of Foretec Seminars.
Please RSVP by email to jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us.  I need to know how
many people will attend and how many will be eating pizza.

Directions to CNRI can be found on the Web:

    http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/directions.html

Mailing list: There is a mailing list for people interested in
DCPIGgies meetings; see http://www.python.org/mailman/listinfo/dcpiggies.
This is a low volume list for announcing meetings, arranging to share
rides, and other thrilling PIGgy topics.

See you there!
Jeremy