[Distutils] Access to Python config info

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 07:05:23 -0800

Greg Ward wrote:
> Actually, I'm doing all this to convince the Python world that not *all*
> people named Greg are left-coast long-haired anarchists.  ;-)^2

Feh.

> But seriously: is it *really* such a burden to put something like this:
>
> #
> # distutils/version.py
> #
> # Implements multiple version numbering conventions for the
> # Python Module Distribution Utilities.
> #
> # written by Greg Ward <gward@cnri.reston.va.us>, 1998/12/17
> #
> # $Id$
> #
>
> in the top of a source file?  I don't think so, and it's especially
> trivial compared to the time spent to write documentation and a test
> suite.  (Which I'm also a fan of.  But I figured insisting on them would
> just get me laughed off the sig, so I kept the request [name, date, RCS
> id] pretty small.  I honestly didn't think even *you* would howl at
> that... silly me!)

I'm not howling, and I never said it was a burden (so there! :-).

In fact, I don't really have much of a problem with it. If I
*remembered* to do it, then I'll add them for any code I drop off.
However, I'm a realist... I'm laying odds that you won't get everybody
to add those headers.

Call me a cynic, but you're working against the habits of a bunch of
programmers. There is very little on the planet that has the stubborness
of a programmer :-)

> Which reminds me, by writing sysconfig.py Fred has shamed me into
> writing version.py.  Should be available in that yet-to-be-created
> anonymous CVS archive Real Soon Now.

Hey, I gave you some code for versions. It worked great for me :-)

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/