[Distutils] Access to Python config info

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:08:27 -0800

Fred L. Drake wrote:
>   Equivalents for non-Unix platforms are still needed; has anyone
> thought about Windows or Mac platforms?  I think the current
> implementation is fine for BeOS; can someone who uses the BeOS port
> confirm?  NeXT users might want to pipe up as well!

The Windows platform has a hardcoded "makefile" and a hardcoded
config.h. If the sysconfig interface is simply a flat of list of names,
then the Windows platform can ship a simple sysconfig module defining
those names as appropriate (rather than trying to query them).

This is partly why I advocate making sysocnfig as simple as possible.
Preferably, it would be generate by the build process and shipped that
way. NO functions. If you want functions/classes/whatever, then they go
in the distutils package, consuming information from sysconfig.py as
needed.

Cheers,
-g

--