[Distutils-sig] Compiler module available for comment

John Skaller skaller@maxtal.com.au
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 09:22:13 +1000

This is to advise that I have already implemented Python modules with the
ability to compile

        C or C++ Python dynamically loadable modules
        C or C++ external applications

and these are incorporated in interscript in the 'compilers' subdirectory.

The implementation is not important. What is important is the _interface_
provided. Please examine. I would appreciate any comments on the
generality of the interface.

In my opinion, these modules should be in the standard distribution,
and be hooked by 'import' so that C/C++ extension developers don't have
to provide _any_ makefiles or other installation crud. Just copy the
C file into the right place and it gets compiled automatically,
just like a .py file gets compiled to a .pyc file automatically.

Obviously, this technology cannot handle linking to arbitrary libraries
in a platform independent way -- but it will handle a large class
of C modules of the kind 'Could be done in Python, but C is faster'.
John Skaller    email: skaller@maxtal.com.au
		http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
		phone: 61-2-96600850
		snail: 10/1 Toxteth Rd, Glebe NSW 2037, Australia