[Distutils] Random bits

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:34:44 -0500 (EST)

Greg Ward writes:
 > I beg to differ -- I'll have to take a closer look at what's going on
 > with Michael's examples of brokenness, but I like to think they can be
 > fixed without completely tossing the existing design.

  I'm not suggesting that these things shouldn't be options, only that
they should be global options to the setup.py script, not local to
each sub-command.
  For options that apply to a specific sub-command, go ahead and make
them command-local.  For options that describe the Python installation
that the package is being added to, use global options.  These are
used to describe the target environment, and there's no good reason
not to group them in the global options space.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>