[Distutils] ANNOUNCE: Distutils 0.1.2 released

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:31:45 -0500

Phew, just in time for Christmas.  Get your copy today from

    http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/

Many bugs fixed in this one.  Works great on Linux and Solaris; I didn't
hear back from anyone about whether it works on Windows, so I'm taking a
chance.

Here's the entry from the CHANGES file:

* changes to command-line semantics:
  - verbose mode is now the default
  - added help options (and generation of help text), both globally and
    for each command
  - better usage message
* anywhere that accepts/requires a list of strings now also accepts
  a tuple of strings (but lists of tuples still have to be lists --
  there are limits)
* fixes to "build_py" command
  - explicitly ensure that the setup script (sys.argv[0]) is never
    included with the modules to be installed
  - do *not* preserve file mode when copying .py files into the
    build tree (was preserving 0444 permissions [read-only], which
    caused subsequent installation of the same module distribution
    to fail)
  - several silly bugs that showed up when building simple,
    non-packagized distributions
* fixes to the "dist" command
  - correct behaviour with filename pattern regexes
  - don't blow up if MANIFEST missing, just warn and carry on
  - blow away "distribution" tree after making archive file(s)

Enjoy!  Thanks to everyone who spotted bugs (especially Guido for a
very useful checklist).

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                           voice: +1-703-620-8990