[Distutils] Disposition of C extensions and packages

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:32:40 -0500

[MAL]
> One way to solve this is by editing the __init__.py module
> of the package containing the C extension and tweaking the
> __path__ global so that the correct shared modules for the
> importing platform is found. I've never tried this, but it
> should work...

Note that the idea of packages tweaking their __path__ is not very
future-proof; one of the things under consideration elsewhere as a
distribution mechanism is to place a group of modules in a zip archive
(either the standard Python library, a package, or perhaps the library
plus a set of packages needed by an application).

I think it's worth looking again into the issue of where
package-specific shared libs should come from when the package itself
is loaded from an archive.