[Distutils] Disposition of C extensions and packages

Michel Sanner sanner@scripps.edu
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:40:57 -0800

On Dec 20,  5:29pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Distutils] Disposition of C extensions and packages
> [Michael Sanner]
> > What management are you talking about here ?? It seems to me that
> > duplicate copies of identical files (one copy per platform) is
> > inconvenient (at least for my perspective).
>
> Suppose a new version of a package is released for platform X but not
> yet for platform Y (maybe platform Y is less popular and the only
> maintainer is on vacation).  Further suppose the platform-independent
> files are changed in the new version.  Now if you install it in the
> shared area for platform X, you screw platform Y's installation.
> Without a shared area, each platform can update without affecting the
> others.

OK, you have a point there ! although this raises the issue of packages version
support !

> > Moreover, why provide an prefix and an exec_prefix if we are going to put
> > everything into the same tree anyway ??
>
> They are old features; 5 years ago this was worth it to save 0.5 Mb of
> disk space.

Does that mean that this will disapear ? it is it old stuff, it should ! Or do
you think that the /sys.prefix/lib should remain shared ?

While we're at it, maybe the extensions that are distributed along with the
Python intertpreter should be re-evaluated. I have a hard time explaining why
some extensions like the rotor module are part of the Python standard
distribution while Numeric is not !
These might be details, but I am in the process of trying to convince people at
SDSC (San Diego Suppercomputer Center) to support Python for their users and
questions like these are raised !

-Michel

Michel F. Sanner Ph.D.                   The Scripps Research Institute
Assistant Professor			Department of Molecular Biology
					  10550 North Torrey Pines Road
Tel. (858) 784-2341				     La Jolla, CA 92037
Fax. (858) 784-2860
sanner@scripps.edu                        http://www.scripps.edu/sanner